- HIT Sport
The PEIA Weight Management Program
More PEIA PPB members now are eligible for the Weight Management Program. The new criteria includes those individuals with a Body Mass Index of 25 or greater, or if you are a woman, a waist circumference of 35 inches or greater, or if you are a man, a waist circumference of 40 inches or more.
Additionally, while there is still no deductible or coinsurance, the member copayment is a flat $20 monthly throughout the length of the program, making it more affordable for couples and/or families who want to attend together.
The PEIA Weight Management Program uses the services of exercise and nutrition professionals in conjunction with professional phone counselors to help you make the necessary lifestyle changes so that you may lose weight and improve your health.
You will receive:
- Individualized services, including a baseline assessment and periodic follow ups
- Personal training
- Phone coaching
- Access to a participating fitness facility meeting PEIA’s health and safety standards
- Two years of services so long as you demonstrate progress
As a participant, you will be obligated to do the following:
- Keep all scheduled appointments
- Provide at least 24 hours notice for any cancellations or you may be charged for a missed appointment
- Pick one facility (you may not switch)
- Exercise at the facility at least twice weekly
- Cooperate with the monthly measurements
- Pay your facility copayment when due
- Notify your phone coach if you are experiencing problems interfering with your participation
- Keep a food journal to be reviewed by staff
To enroll in the program on-line, click the button below. PEIA Weight Management Enrollment.
For more information, call 1-866-688-7493.
Join the Weight Management Program!
Losing weight is hard, but it’s worth it.
It takes discipline, support, and a willingness to change your lifestyle for good. Even a modest weight loss of 10% can lower you risk for heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure. It can make activities of daily living easier, like walking, tying your shoe laces, carrying the groceries, and playing with the kids. It can also help improve sleep, lessen joint pain, and alleviate depression.
Who qualifies for the PEIA Weight Management Program
To participate in the PEIA Weight Management
- You must have PEIA Preferred Provider Benefit Insurance; this does NOT include Humana or the Health Plan. You will be responsible for any costs if your insurance changes!
- You must have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25 or greater; or
- A waist circumference of 35 inches or greater (for women) or 40 inches or greater (for men);
- You must be ready to make permanent lifestyle changes and have the approval of your physician or nurse practitioner.
You are not eligible if:
- You recently underwent bariatric or lapband surgery
- You participated in the Dean Ornish Program for Reversing Heart Disease (this does NOT include Ornish Spectrum)
- You have exhausted the benefit
- Your physician or nurse practitioner does not approve, or
- There is not a participating facility in your area.
What is the PEIA Weight Management Program
The program uses the services of exercise and nutrition professionals, in conjunction with specially trained phone consultants, to help you make the necessary lifestyle changes so that you may lose weight and improve your health.
PEIA has developed a network of facilities across the state (the listing of facilities may be found in the Health and Wellness section of the PEIA website) who have agreed to provide the required program services while also accepting our fee schedule. These facilities meet our health and safety standards, maintain the appropriate ,equipment, and offer accessible hours of operation.
How do I enroll?
Enroll on the web by visiting the PEIA website: www.peia.wv.gov, click on the link for health and wellness programs, and then on weight management. Or CALL TOLLFREE 1-866-688-7493.
How much does it cost?
There is no coinsurance or deductible, only $20 per month copayment per participant.
What should I do if I am not receiving the services expected?
Let us know! Please call 1-866-688-7493 so that we can clear up any confusion regarding scheduling of services.
Why does PEIA offer this benefit?
Program participants experience improved physical and psychological well being. Although we do not expect the program will solely reverse the epidemic of obesity in West Virginia, it does offer the necessary supports for those people who are committed to making a personal lifestyle change.